A Young Sailor All I was (2)

 A young sailor, all I was...

(Was it all a masquerade?)


I used to hear the howling winds

pushing on the raging waves,  

The heavy rolling, the splashing water

Pouring heavy on my face,

the unforgivable cold sleet

Needling all over my skin

Never frighten by the weather 

But instead,

 by the loneliness in me



I used to be in every storm

Under darkened clouds above

At the coarse voice of  thunders, 

Danced in silence, cried alone.


With the moonlight as my torch

I also learnt what quiet means

Gently swallowed deep by darkness

Found the loneliness in me


I have been in countless ports

Kissed a girl, or maybe more,

just as often fell in love,

broke a heart, and broke my own 

Hauled my pieces, went aboard,

cast off ropes, and sailed away


I have also said goodbye 

with a promise to return, 

It was never, not a lie, 

With a few drams of scotch

and warm arms around my soul?

Was a game full of words, 

fool young sailors like myself,

truly loving being in love

have no choice, but just to play.



And for all of what I've done

many times despise myself, 

Was there love, and was it fair?

never mind,  there's no regrets, 

they were blown by the gales,

by the joy of a new bay,

by the hearts waiting ashore

waving hands, another game



Now my hair has turned to gray

I seem wise, I wish to say,

Going back is what I yearn 

To the oceans left behind

To the lovers in disguise,

To the joys of a new bay

Kiss a girl, then kiss her twice

let my loneliness to fade,

Then again, watch her cry,

cry myself

Then again, say goodbye

Then again, let the gales

Blow those memories away


Was it all a masquerade?


Having sailed the seven seas,

Having being in many ports

Having wounded all those hearts

was there  anyone to blame?

not a dreamer in his youth 

chasing dreams that no one cares,

not the hoping souls ashore,

not a single raging wave 


Was it all a masquerade?



I was young, 

A young sailor, it’s all I was.

How could I have ever known

It was all a masquerade,

All the love, all the pain,

Orquestrated by the sea

For I never ever  dread 

All the loneliness in me



Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

A day in a life of a marine pilot.

A tale of a dance that can never stall

The Ever Given, Suez, and the (probable) causes of the accident: a raw reflexion.